Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tex/Mex country comes to a smaller than deserved audience

From Patricia Vonne 2011
When going to listen to an act I’ve not previously heard of, I have to guess the best time to arrive to get a good spot – for Patricia Vonne at the Borderline my estimate was opening time, aiming to be just stage left in front of the limited seating.

My early arrival wasn’t 100% necessary as the evening was far from sold out, but it did mean that I got to enjoy the polished sounds of Red Sky July. Recently formed from former members of two bands high on my play list, Texas and Alisha’s Attic, their country set was worth the price of admission on its own. Surely they’ll be playing to sold out events of their own in the very near future.

Having allowed the supporting act to set the bar high, Patricia meet the same high standard. Her engaging charm, castanets and energetic strumming filled the venue with sounds that appropriately straddled the Mexico/Texas borderline. 

Maybe it is a lack of a presence for Patricia on either of the two most powerful marketing tools of our time, Facebook and Twitter, that means she isn't getting the audience her talent deserves

No comments: