Friday, February 13, 2009

Escape to the Southern Hemisphere

On a cold and snowy evening I packed my bags for an escape to the southern hemisphere. It is remarkable how much you can squeeze into a large rucksack when you are restricted to one piece of hold luggage for one leg of your journey.

Was travelling on Friday the 13th a good idea? It is if you have first class tickets to a warmer part of the world that cost an arm and leg in air miles, but only taxes and fuel surcharges in cash! So starts my first trip south of the equator, adding two more countries to my list of places visited, and if you count Africa as an Island, two islands to my list of Island's visited. Australasia and South America remain as populated continents to visit, and I'd love to add Antarctic - that may be something for my sabbatical.

The physical pain from the required injections in my arm had worn off, if not the financial one left by the bill, so I could sit back an enjoy the legendary first class service from BA. And they didn't disappoint. What was most amazing was the lack of noise in the first class Cabin. Although it was a little disconcerting being so close to the front of the plane.

No comments: