Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Too Much, Too Little, Too Late

From Johnny Mathis 2011
When you pay £50+, the least you can expect is good sound – especially in a venue such as the O2, with a wealth of experience of setting up for a wide variety of acts… Hence my disappointment that Johnny Mathis’ performance was scared by an echo from the back of the half full O2… I’ve been to multiple event where the arena has been configured without the vertigo inducing 4th level – none of which have suffered in this way. A loud rock act might have over come it – but the subtly of Johnny’s music was lost when you got a second hearing reflecting off the back of the dome…

Having said that my expectations had already been lowered by the fact that rather than a musical support act, there would be a comedian supporting Johnny between two short sets from him…  But Jeff Stevenson’s act was actual warming – totally un-offensive, but with good gags about the London tube and Little Chefs… 

The night will lead to a slight adjunct to my “try any artist I’ve heard of” policy – don’t over invest in acts you’ve not heard before, that are on their way down rather than potentially up – the real shame is that I missed out on another gig which I’m sure would have been better, from an act looking to build a career rather than, by Johnny’s own admission, fund a golf trip to Europe! I wish he’d invested a little more in the sound engineer and system so those paying top dollar for the night could listen without the echo! I’m sure the O2 has enough equipment and technology to have been able to perfect the sound for the venue.

No comments: